March 9, 2014
In attendance: Erin Chan Ding, Susanna Song, Lorene Yue, Wailin Wong, Sally Ho
1) Treasurer update: The 2013 annual report was completed and Wailin is working on organizing Quickbooks.
2) Membership update: Sally will send out a Tiny Letter email that will include a reminder for members to renew and upcoming events.
3) Asian American Film Festival: We are co-hosting a screening of trailers for the Asian American Film Festival with the Foundation of Asian American Independent Media. The screening event is on March 28 and will be free to our members who RSVP. The event is being sponsored and the chapter will not contribute funds. The film festival begins April 5.
4) AAJA Chicago Internships: Lorene, Wailin and Sally met prior to the board meeting to interview finalists for the David Ibata Print internship at Crain’s Chicago Business. The application for the Linda Yu Broadcast internship, hosted by WBEZ this year, was March 1.
5) Northwestern University students dinner: Student members at Northwestern invited the chapter’s professional members to a dinner networking night in Evanston on March 12. Erin, Sally and Niala Boodhoo will attend.
6) Media Access Workshop: The board divided duties for the April 26 event.
-Transportation: The chapter will provide free parking at the event at Navy Pier. Lorene will coordinate and the budget is $1,000.
-Program: Sally will coordinate and create the program with Lorene’s help. Sally is unable to attend the event.
-Food: Erin will coordinate breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack.
-Speakers: Susanna will be the point person for all speakers.
-Registration: Wailin will create an Eventbrite invitation and handle registration.
-Location: It will be held at the WBEZ offices at Navy Pier. Niala will be our liaison for the space.
-Other notes: Sharon Chan of the Seattle Times and Paul Cheung, AAJA national president, will attend. The Chicago board will begin outreach and advertising efforts, including connecting with area nonprofits and foundations. RSVPs will be tentatively due April 24. The board will have a teleconference on March 26. Lorene and Niala also recently attended the Detroit Media Access Workshop.